Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Apple Fries

Most kids love french fries, but french fries are filled with bad fats and don't have much to offer nutritionally either. Why not give apple fries a try? Quick, easy and packed full of vitamins, what do you have to lose? You can make up a batch of apple fries in less than 5 minutes. Serve them as healthy snack alternatives or pack them in lunch boxes.

 What's needed
• Apples
• Lemon Juice
• Cutting Board
• Knife
• Mixing Bowl

Directions
• Wash apples and dry
• Core apples and peel off skin
• Cut apples into 2-3 inch long sticks. They should be thick enough so they wont' break when transported. Simply cut them so that they resemble french fries.
• Add a teaspoon of lemon juice and the apple fries to the mixing bowl and toss (prevents browning)




Did you know?
Apples are high in fiber and health-promoting phytonutrients, including plant-based antioxidants. Apples come in many different varieties, shapes, and colors. Some are tart, while others are super sweet. Check out the apple chart at pickyourown.org








If I'm making a huge amount of apple fries I like to use The Apple Machine. It was actually a Christmas gift from my parents, and I just love it! My son loves to help Mommy prep apples with it too. It's the best apple peeler/corer I have ever owned, and I have been through quite a few. The suction cup bottom is a nice feature, my old ones just had the clamps, this comes with both so you can use whichever you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment